Diu was conquered by the Portuguese in 1546 who ruled there till 1961. In 1961, the Indian army took over the Portuguese occupied pockets of India, Later On 30th May, 1987, Daman and Diu were de-lined from Goa which attained statehood there by forming these land blocks into a separate Union Territory under the Govt. of India. Diu, with its pleasant beaches and generally few tourist crowds, offer a great pace of change from Gujarat and Goa. The territory is dominantly occupied by fishing communities. Diu is tiny island situated slightly near the Port of Veraval in Gujarat with a coastal length of 21 KMS. It was also a vital trade link with the rest of India for traders overseas. It is connected by two bridges with the mainland.
The fort is skirted by the Sea on the three sides and by a moat on the fourth. It is an expansive and imposing structure. It was constructed between 1535 and 1541 AD. The main front wall is having five huge windows with stone galleries. The Fort has been creatively lit, which creates a breath taking views at night. The fort commands a magnificent view of sea. Guns and Gun balls litter the place. It is a town’s central landmark. The Panikota Forte do Mar, which stands unperturbed.
The old St. Thomas Church has been converted into a museum which houses antique tatues, various stone inscriptions of the earlier rulers, wooden carvings and idols. In evening, multicolored fountains and special lighting of the imposing building fascinate everyone.
This is first museum in Asia which has maximum sea shells and first museum in World where sea shells are displayed in magnifying glass of various sizes. The total collection of sea shell is about 2500 to 3000 museum.
St. Paul’s church is dedicated to our Lady of Immaculate Conception. The construction of the church was started in 1601 and was completed in the year 1610. The main facade of the church is perhaps the most elaborate of all Portuguese churches in India. In architectural style it resembles Bom Jesus Church at Goa. The dominant features are, no doubt, Gothic. The wood - paneling of the church is rated one of the best in church craftsmanship. The fantastic wood carved panels are crafted by Goan artisans.
Diu is well known for its scenic beaches consist of many beaches like Nagoa, Ghoghla, Jallandher, and Chakratirth.
It is located near the Nagoa hamlet of the village of Bucharwada. The Beach is exceptionally beautiful and quiet. In this horse - shoe shaped beach, various water sports facilities are available. It is completely safe for swimming.
The Ghoghla Beach is a sandy beach. A tourist complex nearby provides all basic amenities to tourists. It is the largest and gentlest beach of Diu.The Golden sand beach undulates into the horizon while the Arabian Sea laps away at the edge as though imploring the sands to let it find its own peach. You can do swimming, sunbathing, parasailing, surfing etc.
Jallandhar Shrine is located on hillock close to the beach. This small shrine crowned with a dome houses a stone carved face of Jallandhar a mythological demon who was killed by Lord Krishna. Nearby there is also a temple of Goddess Chandrika. The beach is at a distance of 1 KMS from Diu Town.
It is believed that Lord Krishna had killed Jallandhar with his disc or Sudarshan Chakra. In the sea opposite the beach is small hillock known as Bhansalo where the footprints of Lord Krishna are carved in stone. This place can only be approached when there is low tied. Chakratirth Beach is centrally located and contiguous to the Diu Town. This beach serves the locals as well as domestic and international tourists, providing them with an opportunity to have a worthwhile break. Close to the beach there is a hillock which is called the sunset point.