Porbandar is situated on the western coast of Saurashtra, Gujarat, lays the harbour city of Porbandar, better known as the birth-place of Gandhi - The Father of The Nation. Extremely poor but self-respected Sudama and Krishna’s friendship brings tears of joy, when remembered.
The Jethwa Rajput named it their capital & ruled it from 1200 years. Porbandar is often called “White City” for the white local stone is used for local construction.
The name Porbandar is derived from the combination of two words: Porai – local goddess & Bandar means port, which comes to Porbandar.
In respect to the childhood friend of Lord Krishna, this temple was constructed between 1902 and 1907. It is said that funds were exhausted while this temple was being constructed and the people of Sudamapuri. This is a popular tourist spot in Gujarat. The shrine marks where Sudama’s hut once stood and is the only temple dedicated to him in INDIA.
It is also known as Bhaishri’s Ashram. There are so many activities are going in this ashram. School, Hostel, Science gallery are the main activities in this ashram.
Porbandar was the birthplace of Mahatma Gandhi whose father was the head (Diwan) of the ruling family. The Kirti Mandir memorial built next to Mahatma Gandhi’s birthplace (1869) lies in the old walled township of Porbandar. The Kirti Mandir's premises is a three storeyed ancestral house of Gandhi wherein the exact place where Putlibai, Gandhi’s mother, had given birth to the child Gandhi marked with a 'swastika'. Kirti Mandir, the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi was inaugurated, by the auspicious hands of Sardar Shri Vallabhbhai Patel on 27th of May in 1950. It was built by Shri Nanji Kalidas and Shri Purushottam Mistry. Adjacent to the 165 years old residence is the 24 m high Kirti Mandir with 79 lamps on its peak, one for each year of Gandhi’s life. There is Kasturba Dham (wife of Mahatma Gandhi) behind the Kirti Mandir. The Kirti Mandir has a memorial of Mahatma Gandhi and contains a library with books on Gandhi, a spinning hall, a children's nursery and a lovely prayer hall.